Saturday 31 July 2010

New stage...

OK, after lots of meetings, paperwork, juggling of hours, money and looking at centres, Clive and I think we have sorted out the new stage in Steven life...


On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays Steven will go to the Out of Town day centre which is based near Hedge End. They have a few animals and allotments there that will need looking after, as well as social skills like bus and train rides, swimming, sailing, skiing and lots more like arts and crafts, drama and music to name a few...

Tuesdays he will attend a day centre called Creative Advances and it's based here in Portsmouth, in fact about a 10 minute drive away from us. He will doing things like shopping using his symbols and then going back to the base to cook he's own lunch... But also sometimes he will meet up with some old friends and go on some day trips,...

and then on Thursday he will be going out with a young lady called Nicola who works for Enableability. She will take him out on trips to places like the living rain forest, Marwell, the Island of Wight, to a centre to do ICT, the gym, also to another centre to cook his own lunch...

It's all very new and we're not sure how Steven will not only react to the new staff but how he copes with the changes. But, we are not worrying too much as we will have a review in a few months to check all of us are happy with everything or not, as it can be changed, as nothing is set in stone.

Also if funds permits we hope to keep up with he's social sills of meeting up with friends for a few hours in the evening and at weekends, so he can still go out for dinner, bowling, play crazy golf, all the things most 19 year old do,...

OK people that know me, will know I'm going worried a bit over the next few weeks, as it's the unknown, but I do feel a bit better than I did this time last week, so that must be a good sign...

I would like to say A big thank you to all of you, for your support I've had from YOU my friends, I really do appreciate it, without it I'm not sure how I would have got through the last year or so, so THANK YOU...

9 comments:

SusieJ said...

Great news Maria! I hope Steven enjoys his new "routine" - it sounds fun and well balanced.
Also hope that you don't have too much worry - easier said than done as it's part of what us Mums do I know.
Sparkles and hugs,
Sue xx

Hi it's Maria said...

thanks sue...xx

Susan said...

I am jealous - it all sounds great fun!
Hopefully Steven will have a ball and you can relax and stop worrying (I bet you don't!).
I hope life calms down for you now, after all the upheaval with Steven, losing your dad, sorting the house out for Sam...you deserve a bit of time for yourself.

Crafting to stay sane! said...

This sounds wonderful for Steven Maria, I know you will worry at first, I am the same, but think of the independence that it is giving Steven! I only hope that we have the same oportunities for Sophie when the time comes!
Hugs Alyson x

Hi it's Maria said...

thanks susan and alsyon, I'm looking forward to having some life back, lol... xx

and hopefully things will be even better when sophie gets to this stage alsyon...xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Your plans sound really good, so glad you have got things settled now, and well done on being so tenacious and getting those plans pushed through!

jan said...

good news Maria, hope all goes well with Steven's new phase in life for you all as family, and it sounds fun and life skills too. Hope you can relax a bit and less worry, take care,hugs Jan xx

jackie(worcs) said...

It sounds a great set-up you have managed to get arranged for Steven. I hope he settles in well and you can relax and have some time for you.
Jackie :-)

Hi it's Maria said...

thanks jan and jackie...xx