Wednesday 25 April 2007

Rubbing salt into the wound

Why can't life be easy, I feel really drained today, had to go to MFI to try and sort my kitchen out, so what is wrong with it I hear you ask, well....

..In January I was wiping the unit (yes I do, do housework) and noticed the moulding on one of the doors was going funny, thought I sure I would have noticed it when we had it fitted (3 years ago) thought nothing more of it, apart from making a mental note to point it out to hubby (which I forgot to).

In Feb, the same door had not closed, as a saucepan was in the way and saw that the front was coming away from the rest of the door, so when I got chance, went round to MFI, they told me to have the oven checked out (as the door was next to it) did what I was told, nothing wrong with the oven, so got back in touch with MFI was told not to worry as I had furniture insurance, but the style had been discontinued, but they would replace all door/drawer front to the nearest match.

Did not hear anything for 4 weeks, then got phone call from the insurers to be told I could have £97 compensation, so I could go out and purchase new doors in place of the faulty ones (which will not match as they have been discontinued) , when ask about replacing all doors etc. as I wanted a kitchen that match was told NO, could just have the £97, which (surprisingly) I turned down. (kitchen cost over £4,500) Have not heard nothing since.

But I have been round to the store and had promises made and broken, got in touch with consumer direct, wrote the letters I was told to, but still no joy. Then on Saturday to 'rub salt into the wound' I got a bill for having the oven checked, the insurers are refusing to pay because nothing was wrong with the oven, so we have been left with a £75 bill.

So trip round MFI again yesterday to be told manager was out, so made appointment for today, just seen him and yes more promises, he is coming round with someone on Monday to look at the doors etc. and yes MFI would foot the Borch bill (seeing they told me to get the oven checked in the first place). So watch this space...

In all I wonder if it's worth trying to better your self, It took us 3 years to save up for my dream kitchen, which only lasted 3 years, I did ask the manager this morning, that should I have started saving up for another kitchen straight away after paying for the other one, as they only have a life expectancy of 3 years.

So I suppose the moral is to 'not to think you can better your self' 'and 'not to save, so you can pay cash for things' but to buy on credit, then when things do go wrong refuse to pay, or better still be a traveller when you are ABOVE the law. (but then again that's another story)

2 comments:

Susan said...

Grrr that sort of thing really annoys me, my friend battled with B&Q for over a year with her faulty kitchen but in the end it was stressing her so much she had to drop it. Some big shops have such bad customer service don't they? Hope you get it sorted soon.

Hi it's Maria said...

Thanks Susan, depress me even more why don't you...
Only joking, I had a feeling it was going to be a long hard slog, this has been going on since late Jan already and as we all know Insurance company's are quick enough to take your money, but not give any back.